qualitative research

Richard Norris norr3888 at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 30 12:25:05 PDT 2002

Hi Judi,

I stumbled across OST while completing my Masters.  I was so intrigued by it
that I decided to do my Masters research project on something connected to
OST.  I looked in vain for published research on OST and found virtually
nothing.   What I did find was a large collection of stories and articles on
OST which I believed were "mini qualitative slices" of data attesting to the
value of using OST.  Hence my Master's research project...."A Grounded
Theory Study on The Value Associated with Using OST".

I decided to pull all these together and squeeze some "quantitative data"
from their "qualitative state".  I purchased software to help me do this
(Ethnograph V 5.0, designed by Quali Research and distributed by Scolari).
I then downloaded all the stories into the software, tagged each
"qualitative" item into a value categories: Time Frame - immediate, post,
potential.  Type - personal, organizational.  System - management,
leadership, vision, community.  Alas I had some "simple numbers" to help
guide me through the rest of the research.

What I found personally valuable from the project was the journey...it was
an experience in "self organizing research" (which I believe is the
difficulty most qualitative researchers face).  I had no idea where the data
would lead me so I trusted the process and let it roll!  The results......70
some pages of "my ramblings" (required for a grade) and then 15 or so pages
of I believe might be the most value to the OST community.  The offering of
what others ascribed as "of value" categorized in tables, something I had
not seen in my literature review on OST.  These can be found in the research
paper.  http://www.openspaceworld.org/tmnfiles/OSTResearch2000.htm

I am grateful for the experience.  The next time I do formal research on OST
I will do it "In Open Space" which is in my mind the next logical step in
the process of researching OST and where "the full story lives"!

Hope this helps as you bring your project into focus and it becomes what it
will be.

Rich Norris
norr3888@ bellsouth.net