Holding Space in Emergent Systems

Laurel and Rick laurick at telus.net
Tue Apr 30 11:28:55 PDT 2002

It's always seemed to me that the rough equivalent of the Tao in western
thought was the ancient Greek notion of the Logos, "that which steers all
things through all things"(Democritus).  Interesting that "logos" forms the
root of "logic" in english, yet seems to mean something much more mystical,
inclusive and all-encompassing - also, I believe, NOT anthropomorphic (and
quite separate from the ancient greek theological hierarchy), and therefore
very different from the later Christian notion of a single "God".

(Also interesting that Democritus was the guy who first postulated the
existance of "atoms" - took about twenty-five hundred years for his notion
to be proven, but he was right on the money!  Jeez, I haven't read the
ancient Greeks in years, and now you guys have inspired me to run out and
buy something exciting to read while we're in France!  Democritus, here I
come!!)

At any rate, the logos has always seemed to me to be the innate drive toward
self-organization (for doesn't that which steers all things through all
things necessarily include steering itself through itself?  Sounds like
self-organization to me.)

Laurel.