qualitative research

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 30 07:53:18 PDT 2002

Hi Judi,
Beginning in about 1996, if not sooner, as facilitators of OST, we met to
discuss the importance of research such as you are looking for. I believe
that you will not find what you are looking for "in the literature" because
for whatever reason, most facilitators of OST, myself included, write up
what has happened as stories (qualitative research?) with a few people
having done their phD thesis but very few contributing their findings to us
as a collective to use it.

Are their stories of how OST has been used to do data
collection/research--there are many many stories (both written and not
written up). As a consultant, every time that I do an analysis of
organizational health and balance with an organization, an OST meeting is
part of the data collection to enable the organization to have the best
possible data (research) to guide them in creating the future they desire.

OSI US was set up with an official Board of Directors and with a charitable
status number for a number of reasons (in 1996) including the opportunity of
receiving grants for projects that would move work with OST forward. I
encourage a discussion about collecting data that substantiates our claims
about the value of OST. I sigh as I say this. I have very little time to
attend to this, because I am very busy getting the work done, including very
intense work at the moment with development work with conscious Open Space
organizations. And yet, if we do not as a collective have the "research"
written up and documented, it leaves us in a weakened position regarding
enquiries such as yours.

I wish your group would simply ask "does it work?" and "do you have any
stories you can share?".

Blessings to you and all whom you make genuine contact with,

Birgitt  Williams
Mentoring for Organizational Effectiveness

visit us at www.genuinecontact.com <http://www.genuinecontact.com/>  and
join the list serve at http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/genuinecontact
<http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/genuinecontact>

"I believe that Spirit matters and people are precious. I know that
organizations incorporating these values have exciting, tangible results
including wealth, prosperity, and abundance. Daily, these organizations
attend to their health and balance. Participating in the Genuine Contact
program takes you on a learning journey of HOW to achieve the healthy and
balanced organization (the conscious Open Space Organization).”  Birgitt
Williams, Dalar International Consultancy