Columbia OS

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 26 10:42:04 PDT 2002

At 10:08 AM 4/26/2002 -0700, Peggy wrote:

>The broad question is what are we learning about Open Space in highly
>conflicted, violent settings that can increase the likelihood of success?

Tova and Avner could help a lot here -- but my major learning is that there
is precious little difference between a "highly conflicted, violent
settings" and what one might call "normal" -- whatever that is -- when it
comes to Opening Space. I found it useful to be more intentional and
careful (possibly) with my pre-event conversations with sponsors just to
make sure that they really wanted to take this trip and what the ground
rules were. But other than that -- business as usual.

>The practical question is in Pablo's words:
>
>One concern we had is whether it is really necessary that they speak
>Spanish, some think that with one of us as a co facilitator this is not
>needed.  What are your thoughts on this?

I can remember doing several OS in Latin America where I was just about the
only English speaking person. Personally I would have felt a lot better had
I spoken Spanish for reasons of politeness if nothing else -- but as far as
the effectiveness of the OS, again it was business as usual. One of the
things I learned was just how intuitive OS really is. Another learning was
about how unimportant the actual words really are. But i always think it is
much better to have the whole thing in a language understood by the people.
It wipes out the expert syndrome, and a whole mess of other unneeded baggage.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA