timing of storytelling before OS

Meg Salter meg.salter at sympatico.ca
Thu Apr 4 08:16:15 PST 2002

I'm sure Agnetta can give a more detailed response, but here is my story
about story telling.

The evening before my VERY FIRST EVER! OS, we did a short story telling. The
setting was an off-site corporate event, with about 30 front line customer
service staff from a pharmaceutical company. They had just been through a
merger, huge deadline stress, extra work, very bad morale and some nasty
communication going on. And one person had been fired that morning.
Management was quite leery about the whole process, but willing to give it a
try. For sure, the same old wasn't going to help!

So after supper, we gathered in a circle in the main room, and asked
eople  - anyone who wanted to -  to tell a story from work - one thing that
had affected them positively and one thing they would change (if memory
serves me correctly). I was astounded at how positive the messages were
overall. Yes, there were complaints, but as is often the case, the
"appreciative" base was largely unconscious, and bringing it out affected
the whole group.

I view story-telling as a method to bring the whole person in the room. I've
incorporated  it as part of opening or check-in process in more structured
events, and I always try to make the question open-ended enough that people
will say what they want to say anyway!
Meg Salter

MegaSpace Consulting
416/486-6660