timing of storytelling before OS

Agneta Setterwall agneta.setterwall at telia.com
Thu Apr 4 01:07:05 PST 2002

Hello Raffi!
I have been in simular situations, where I had to chose the possible, not
the best. Until now I have never had the opportunity to have the
storytelling the evening before an OpenSpace. At one occation I had it in
the evening after we started OpenSpace at lunchtime. We had dinner
inbetween, and used another room, with more of comfortable
livingroom-feeling. We still had a circle, but with some nice sofas and big
armchairs - and candles in the middle. It worked fine, and the next morning
we continued the OpenSpace.
At another occasion I met a group three times, with some weeks between the
first and the second occasion. The group was a eco-village community,
wanting to work with their future. They had after having struggeled with
establishing their village for several years and succeded, now some big
disturbing and half hidden conflicts among them. At the first meeting I used
some "whole person process facilitation" inspired from Birgitt Williams, and
we talked about democracy (which was my official commission from the start)
and meetingformats etc. At the end THE CONFLICT came up. People where
scared, but the form with rounds etc. made it possible to continue talking
and listening. They decided to continue the process with me as a
facilitator. Two weeks later we had a storytelling evening. I started it
with a very short introduction where I talked about the four voices which
have to be heard in a conflict-resolution process - Truth, Justice, Peace
and Mercy. Then I let it go. It worked fabolous! The evening was full of
feelings, courage, listening...Two days after that we had a VERY short
OpenSpace about their future- and that worked to! They expressed lots of
inspiration and ideas, and that the hopelessness many of then had been in
before theese meetings was gone.
I believe that storytelling always works, but that the evening-feeling is
important, and the one night sleep. In your situation I would choose to have
the storytelling on saturday evening right after dinner.
Good luck!
Agneta Setterwall, Sweden