ITS OVER WHEN THE BOSS SPEAKS...Invocation/Evocation

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Fri Apr 26 10:01:03 PDT 2002

Julie Smith wrote:
> The opening was an invitation to the Creator to join us, and the closing was
>thanking the Creator for sharing that time with us.  The closing also
>released us back into our normal states of being.

I recently did some investigation into invocation while preparing for opening the space for the season of the healer at Spirited Work (an OS learning community that meets quarterly using the archetypes identified by Angeles Arrien as a lens).

Michael Lindfield, who spent a number of years at Findhorn, (and who I think is on this list),  helped me to get a glimmer into this concept of invocation.  When we open a space, we are invoking something to enter; we are opening to the spirit that wants to enter.   That's why clarity of the purpose of a gathering is so important: what do we wish to invoke?

An invocation connects the material world, the heart and the spirit.  We humans are a bridge for linking matter and spirit.  An invocation moves in, through and from us, making spirit matter.  What is invoked must ultimately be dispersed in order to serve.  So opening an OS is an invocation for spirit to move in, through and from us in service to a higher purpose.  Closing a space is a dispersion of that service into the larger space of the world.

Peggy

Peggy Holman
The Open Circle Company
15347 SE 49th Place