critics of open space

john engle englejohn at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 12 15:18:28 PDT 2002

raffi,

open space is slowly but surely taking root in haiti. be sure, it is ever so
slow. the practitioners, for the most part, are becoming passionate about
it. and so are many of the people who participate in open space meetings.

nevertheless, some who are participating in open space meetings, even on an
ongoing basis, are still somewhat critical of open space's usefulness. even
some of the practitioners continue to view that the applications where open
space is the appropriate method, are very limited.

frankly, i see it like this: we human beings frequently find comfort in
blaming something else--method, system, person, whatever--for our failure to
take responsibility to gain clarity about, and to act upon, that which we
feel passionate about.

i tell people that open space, as a method, cannot get work done that people
are not willing to do. and good luck to those who are looking for a method
which can carry out the tasks on our to-do lists!

i remember when i attended an os training with harrison about six or seven
years ago. i found that his response of, "just do open space," to all the
participants as we posed various organizational dilemmas seemed
oversimplified and narrow minded to me at the time.

now, i find myself saying the same thing to my colleagues.

albest,

john

http://www.beyondborders.net/experiment.htm

MSN Photos est le moyen le plus simple de partager, modifier et imprimer vos
photos préférées. http://photos.msn.fr/Support/WorldWide.aspx