Supporting a "world wide parent network"

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Mon Apr 8 09:24:41 PDT 2002

I recently spoke to Laurie Simons, who is part of a group pursuing a creative idea.  They are forming a "world wide parents network".  They've got some ideas around using Open Space and using the Internet to make this a world wide project.  They'd like to have some folks involved from around the world who have experience with Open Space Technology.    If you're interested or want to know more, contact Laurie at  edvideoplus at aol.com.

A description of their concept is below.

Peggy

World Wide Parent Network:

The Future In Our Hands

Part One

This is a grassroots movement where parents around the world join together to shape the future.

In 40 to 50 years our infants and toddlers will be the adults and leaders of the world.  They will be the ones who make decisions about how to resolve differences and conflicts, how to protect our planet from pollution and deforestation, and how to distribute wealth and resources.  As parents, we are the key influence in our children's lives.

By working together, parents from all cultures can take charge of the future now.

We can work collectively to seek and share the information and tools we need to raise the next generation to be compassionate, creative, resourceful human beings.

We can find ways to teach our children how to get along and resolve conflicts without violence.

We can start at home.

We can lead the way towards a peaceful and creative coexistence of people around the world who have diverse points of view and a wide range of interests.

The future is in our hands.

Here's how:

ä     We invite groups of parents and other interested parties to meet, regularly, in their communities, all over the world, and use "Open Space Technology"* to address this question:  "How can we parents work together to shape the future?"

ä     We post results of these meetings on our website**, and invite people to continue the dialogue in on-line chat rooms.

ä     We listen to each other.  We share cultural perspectives.  We offer support.  We locate  the latest research.  We contribute our favorite resources.

ä     We take the necessary actions, and we keep going until we reach our goal.  Together.

*Open Space Technology by Harrison Owen, Berrett-Koehler Publishers, Inc. San Francisco, California (1997)

**http://thefutureinourhands.radiopossibility.com

We are seeking practitioners of Open Space Technology (Seattle, Washington area) to assist in facilitating our "pilot" meetings.  (First meeting scheduled for May 19, 2002).

Contact:  Laurie Simons MA LMHC

                (425) 562-8790   (425) 466-5127 (cell)

                e-mail:  edvideoplus at aol.com

World Wide Parent Network:

The Future In Our Hands

PART TWO

The World Wide Parent Network invites parents to join together to take charge of the future.  Parents need tools and resources to do this.  We need to find a way to communicate with each other around the world, share our common goals, and recognize our differences.  It is clear that repeating history has not led to improved human relations around the world.  If we continue to raise our children the same way we were raised, the future will look the same as the past.

Taking the Future In Our Hands means that parents find new ways to work together and raise our children in ways that lead to new results.  Parents need the opportunity to make informed choices based on accessible information and fresh perspectives.

One of the most effective ways to teach and learn new skills and perspectives is through modeling, by seeing body language and facial expressions, and by hearing tone of voice.  The medium of film and video provides much more information than printed material, ("a picture speaks a thousand words"), and does not require the ability to read.  In this new age of technology, it is becoming more and more possible to offer audio/visual media to parents around the world.   The use of television is becoming more common.

A few films, videos, and television programs of relevance to parents have been produced to date.  However, these programs are not readily accessible.  Making film, video and television programming available and accessible to parents is an essential component of taking the Future In Our Hands.

Here's how:

ä     Encourage and fund the production of films, videos, and television programs that bring relevant information to parents about research, child development, cultural differences, and child rearing.

ä     Seek out parenting models that are already working to achieve our desired results, and make films, videos, and television programs that illustrate how this is being done.

ä     Increase access parents all over the world have to the above programming.  Provide community centers with television/internet access and invite parents to come and watch.

ä     Use technological advances in video streaming and internet service to make a broad range of programming available and accessible to parents, and to increase parents' ability to select programming they wish to watch from a menu of options.

We are seeking funds to accomplish these objectives, suggestions for relevant programming, community leaders from all over the world to participate in this project, and film/video producers to create programs.

                e-mail:  edvideoplus at aol.com

Peggy Holman
The Open Circle Company
15347 SE 49th Place