The Way of the Warrior: Holding Space for The Fourfold Way

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Mon Sep 24 12:29:36 PDT 2001

Thanks, Michael, for your thoughtful words.

I'm reminded of a true story.  I have a friend, Joel Levey, whose grandfather
was a rabbi and who himself practices Tibetan Buddhism.  Once, he and his
wife were invited to teach their course, The Ultimate Warrior, for a cadre of
Green Berets in training.

This did not seem to him to be what he wanted to do with his life's time, but
before refusing the assignment, he consulted with the Dalai Lama.  He was
told, "Whenever you have an opportunity to bring love into a place that
hasn't had enough love, you should consider it an obligation."

They did do the training, which included both survival skills and spiritual
teaching. And every member of the group succeeded in the difficult survival
course at the end of their training.

I know just a little of their course, but this thought stayed with me.  That
when we are wounded, we should allow the wound to heal a little open, so
there is a space for Spirit to come in.  Maybe that is where the world is
just now.

Joelle