Fw: 11 September 2001 - International Day of Peace

Artur F. Silva artsilva at mail.eunet.pt
Sun Sep 23 17:29:12 PDT 2001

At 22:21 23-09-2001, Agneta Setterwall wrote:

>I was shocked when I found this deep down in my maillist. All that
>happened made me totally forget about this. I wonder if the day was
>chosen, or if it is a coincidence.

>This is the first year in the Decade for a Culture of Peace and
>Non-violence for the Children of the World, 2001-2010. Culture of
>Peace Week, September 11-18, 2001 is designed to highlight the
>Decade, promote the International Day of Peace and support the
>Special Session on Children. Support Culture of Peace Week by
>beginning the festivities with the Minute of Silence on September
>11.

I have also noticed the coincidence immediately on the September 11th - in
the morning (in Europe) I red many articles on the newspapers about the
UN decade for "a culture of peace". In the afternoon (Europe) all that
purpose was lost.

I first though it was a coincidence. Then I realized that probably it
wasn't so. The attacks could have as one of its major objectives to stop
the decade on peace and force occident to begin a REAL GREAT WAR.
I began to reflect: and if this is really an objective of the terrorists?

And if they have used the attacks to "invite" the USA (and it would be
similar if it was Bush, Gore or Clinton) and its colonies (including the one
that, in what concerns war, is always "more American than the Americans" -
now ruled by Mr. Blair) and other partners in Europe to enter war. If the
terrorists' objective is that this war will allow many people from ISLAM to
finally decide for one side - including eventually creating a(nother)
revolution
in Pakistan (a country close to have nuclear weapons) by pro-taliban
forces...

And even putting people in the USA and Europe, that one would expect to
be wiser, and fully grasp the paradigm shift needed to try to understand
the situation and act upon it, to speak about the "possible convenience"
of war.

Will UN ever adopt again a decade of peace in this century? And will human
life as we understand it still exist in the next one? Will any space still be
open in a near future? I don't know. Do you?

Regards

Artur