Learning

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Tue Sep 18 15:11:27 PDT 2001

My dear friend,

"Faith is not an opinion but a state."

Paul Tillich, The Courage To Be

Julie

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Heidi and Dan Chay
  To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
  Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2001 11:30 AM
  Subject: Learning

  Dear Hape,

  Thank you for raising this thread about interpreting NYC=>Wingdings!  Interpretations about coincidences such as you illuminated happen all the time.  Not simply RE conspiracies, either, but they also are common in religious and spiritual thinking.  Many of my most dear friends buttress their faith with lovely after-the-fact interpretations of coincidences.

  Artur writes:

  But this type of message says a lot about the society we are living in. Is this world ruled by Bush or by Sharon?
  <<

  Maybe we can say that part of the reason that so many people respond so strongly to such coincidences is that in too many spaces it is not safe to make ourselves vulnerable in ways that help us (and others) learn?  Or that so many people have had the experience that "judgment kills learning," so never got so far as to learn about statistics?  What do you think, Artur?

  At any rate, thank you again, Hape, for raising the question in this space.  For me, looking up the Paulos reference so that I could share it with you was a learning experience instigated by the gift of your sharing.

  Best wishes,

  Dan