A unique opportunity

uwe.weissflog Uwe.Weissflog at t-online.de
Sun Sep 16 03:52:14 PDT 2001

Dear Peggy, dear list,
when I read your note I remembered the following remark from my coaching
education: "We become and are what we pay attention to". It seems to me that
this is one of the big questions we now face, individually and collectively. The
journalism we experience requires listeners and readers who pay attention to
the way "news" is communicated, there is a causal relationship. What we hear and
see in the news is not just "given to us from somewhere outside", it is part of
the interwoven web of the ways we create(d) our world. We might consider the
unpleasant fact that everyone of us is also an integral part of this system.

This might actually provide an unique opportunity for us. There is no natural
law that forces us to consume "information" the way we do. I'm very glad that
you brought up this subject. It allowed me to reflect on my own behavior when
listening and watching to the events of last week. I started to asked myself:
Why is there much more coverage of the NYC events than the Washington events,
lifes were lost in both cases? Why did we need to see the destruction of the WTC
in so many forms? Why is it that all of a sudden everyone needs to make a
comment, knows answers and finds explanations. Why are all the other deaths, all
the wars that happen every day so easily pushed aside? Why couldn't we just be
silent on the media - at least for a while?! I have no answer, but I will pay
much more attention to my questions.

You asked for ideas on reframing. This possibility to work with jounalists is
great, but why not invite readers and listeners too. Actually we are all
listeners and readers. Maybe there is a way to have such events (like yours)
also in Europe and around the world. I do not know jounalists, but some of us
may. I would be willing to help to bring something like this to life in Europe.
There is a conversation about pro bono work on the german speaking list
"schneller Wandel", maybe this is a possibility for us in Central Europe to
fill this with life.
Uwe
Pathway Guidance, Rinnengaerten 1, 34516 Voehl-Marienhagen, Germany
email: uwe.weissflog at pathwayguidance.com
email (personal): uwe.weissflog at t-online.de
phone: 49-5635-991197; fax: 49-5635-993934