Why Open Space / Why Now?

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 27 06:49:06 PDT 2001

The events of 911 have given us a terrible shock and a marvelous
opportunity. We have been dealing with the shock ( and will continue), but
I agree with Jeff, it may now be time to focus on the opportunity.

We know as a matter of personal experience that Opening Space in a time
like this is powerful. Clearly we have a situation of common global
concern, lots of complexity, enormous diversity of opinion and peoples,
sufficient conflict for several life times, and sense of urgency (decision
time of yesterday) that is definitely going off the scale... Meat and
potatoes for Open Space. At some level, it seems to me, we have now run
head on into the time for which we have been preparing. The practice
sessions are over, and it is Game Time for sure.

A funny thing was happening to me. Starting in about May, my calender began
to clear. Not all at once, but a client here, a program there until 911. As
of that date, my calender was essentially clear until January 1, 2001. At
an earlier time in my life I would have been spooked, not to say anxious.
But I found myself watching the shift with a curious detachment. I wondered
-- What Next? Well the "What next seems to be coming in with a vengeance.
Not that my calender is full again, but all thought of Going fishing has
disappeared.

So it is off to work. I think we have an enormous amount to contribute, and
will surely learn a bunch in the process. I can't say that all my fear has
disappeared, but it is clearly being replaced by great excitement and
genuine expectation. As we go down the road the mutual support of this list
is essential, and I dearly hope that we will share our learnings, as we
always have.

Out here in the American West (Colorado) -- where we are doing a training
program (the only thing that was not canceled on my calender, although even
that was in doubt until my colleagues Suzanne Maxwell and Micahel Catalano
said No way) there is a saying when it is time to move. something like
"Saddle up and Move out." I guess that is where I am at... and I look
forward to seeing lots of you on the trail.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA