The Way of the Warrior:

Robert.Chaffe at nre.vic.gov.au Robert.Chaffe at nre.vic.gov.au
Mon Sep 24 16:52:28 PDT 2001

Thank you all for sharing thoughts and ideas that allow me to explore and
challenge my beliefs and values.

In the jargon of our day much is made of "Win Win" outcomes.  If the assumption
is correct it does take the courage of the warrior to put their energy into
achieving this level of outcome.  Much the same as the concept of Open Space
Technology seems simple no one has yet said that means that it is easy.  A
friend who deals with street people in a big city said one of the hardest, yet
one of the most rewarding, things he does daily is to treat every person he
meets the same.  He has one rule, no violence.  A large inner city school in
Australia  has been recognised for their ability to deal with a community that
speaks over 40 different languages and comes from over 20 different countries -
(just imagine the range of cultures and beliefs present).  They used to have a
thick rule book but threw it out and replaced it with one main rule "respect for
yourself, your community and your environment".    Yes, it can be hard work to
live the simple rules of life.

At a recent workshop "Win Win" was given new meaning to me.  The question that
was suggested is; "Are you prepared to work with me to develop a solution that
is better than the ones either of us are proposing?"   There must be times when
the answer might be "may be" but very few times "NO".

May I suggest a reference that some may find helpful as we  work out ways we can
be a "meaningful specific" rather than a "wandering generality".  The book is
"Strategy of the Dolphin" sub title "Winning Elegantly by Coping Powerfully in a
World of Turbulent Change"  by Dudley Lynch and Paul L. Kordis ISBN 0 09 9762102

Regards
Robert