Report re Sept. 21st (long-sorry)

Elena A. Marchuk marco at mail.nsk.ru
Sat Sep 22 20:07:56 PDT 2001

Dear Birgitt, Dear Harrison, and dear ALL nice OSLIST members!

it is so nice to read all opinions (open-ings) in such a generous community
as this OS list. different people from the different countries are trying to
think openly in such a hard time for all of us and I hope we shall grow up
this open community to whatever possible sizes.

I'm very upset with the learning that the popularity of M-r President Bush
grew up up to 91% of support, when he declared the WAR to Afganistan.
I would join the other 9% better to struggle with terrorism but not
declaring the war to the population, which suffer for many years,
unfortunately , there is an input of our Soviet Army there as well (there
was no info about this war untill the last year in our papers...) Sorry, It
was hard to learn that as well for us, mothers of our sons, who died,
thousands there for what?

NOW, I was going to join Birgitt's circle of OS for harmony, when we were
going to meet with my collegue Marina Tyasto (she was trying to join the
list, but somehow couldn't - if somebody can help her? her address is
tysto at sapa.nsk.su) when she called me and ask If I would like to Open Space
for BOSS-club in Novosibirsk. they were gathering more then a year already,
and want to make a meeting "What's next?"
they like the meetings, though it is EVERY week, and all of them are busy.
... but like to gather there.

so

Marina and me are heading in a week to Khabarovsk - it is East from Baikal
Lake, somewhere in the middle of the distance between Vladivostok and Baikal
lake (do you have a map of Russia yet?), on the Amur river - the boarder
between Russia and China in the East of Russia/China.

there will be the 5 day workshop on Effective Communication in
Organizations, so we are going to make some mix of everything including 1
day OS devided in evening and morning sessions... and presentation of FSC.

and on Friday, when we were going to meet at her office (that is in the
center of Novosibirsk, half an hour drive from my place in Akademgorodok
(Academytownship with 20 research institutions here), though there are only
25 kms distance, but with very slow roads...if to be law-listener and
behavour...

well, so she called me and asked me if I would like to join her - we are
invited to the BOSS club to make the short (3 hours) OS event on the topic
"BOSS-club, where are we heading?"

well, that was in NSK, where I was just going to go to Marina, so we would
just do different things... as usual, when we meet on some other topics...
so we did met and we did go to the meeting of the BOSS club and there was a
sort of a Board, about 10 people, and we made all introductions needed to
start OS meeting, and  there were like 5-6 topics, and some people started
to classify them in order, so I did try to ask them, that they can do it
ofcouse, but if they could try not to do this and discuss them in several
groups, but that is up to them and so on....

but they put the table with tea and coffer in the middle of the room back
and told us, that they would discuss topics in turn, all of them and will
write resume on all discussions which they did not, but the secretary did,
that was her usual job.... so they did it the same way as they are used to,
but we were siting in the nearby room, which was one of the several rooms
supposed to be used for small group discussions and we heard the very good
discussion of the group. We did discuss that probably they are a very good
community as well, and OS work better for people, who know each other less,
then they, and also that they do discuss it in high tensity all the time
with small pauses, so there is a good discussion on topics,...

so they were done in an hour, instead of 1,5 hours (2x45 minutes sessions we
were agreed on) and on the closing sessions one person told us, that there
is nothing new... in the method,

So we spoke a little of possibilities of OS, and how to use it - when there
was our turn to speak with microphone (our tibets bells in hand). one person
was very concern to use OS it he would not do the things which would be
decided by the group, and we discussed that: that OS should not be used in
topics, where he knows the decision, but when he doesn't and nobody does, -
that is the stage for OS.

another - bank manager, was talking that he would not ask people because
that is HIS job to decide on conception and strategy of the bank (otherwise
he would be fired), and he just munipulates with people that they do what he
wants, and we discussed that, and that the current tendency is to envolve
more people in planning and decision making as one person can not know all
the information, it is a lot now...of it...

but there were very few time, so we can not talk too much, and it was just
small introduction of everything.... so now I'm thinking....

if they used (nearly) the old pattern, they could not learn anything new...
though the secretary said thank you to us, as they usually talk too long
with no decisions, And now (Friday) the new method gave them more structured
talking - on the topics, which were interesting for those who post them and
as it appears - for all of them, and several (if not all) were close ... but
still they were posted... articulated and gave them idea what to talk about.

they are all leaders, and OS - looks like a very simple, not much structured
for them and they just don't want to hear, what they don't want... the
tipical behavor of russian leaders... you know may be ... it is the same
everywhere, when it is possible... we need to do it unpossible....

so, now,  my idea is to propose them a new discussion. the reflexing on
topics around that event.

first I want to tell them a funny story, which was retelling in our summer
school of young programmers (computer scientists), may be you know it. My
husband told me about it as the scientific experiment, but when I called the
originator of this story, he laughed at me and said, that it is an anecdote
(funny story), so I was confused, and upset that it was not real story,
which I loved...

so

5 monkeys were put in a cage. the banana was lowered for them on the rope
from above, but when monkey ran to it and tried to reach it, the cold water
was thrown on them. when any of them approached the banana afterwards, the
cold water was thrown on them ALL. so after a while, when some monkey was
going to approach the banana, the other beat it and did not allow it to
approach the banana.
then 1 monkey was changed, and the new one which was brougt in the cage
wanted to take banana, which was lowered from above. but all other monkeys
beated it and did not gave it the possibility to catch the banana.
then the other monkey was changed and everything was the same.
So, in some time there were only new monkeys, which did not know the reason
why they were beaten, when they approach the banana, but they still beat the
other new one, which was going to approach the banana....

I mean to tell the story to this bosses, as they are really leaders, they
did not want to listen us to try a new method and made it their way, but,
whether it is always good to use old methods? I also want them to learn
about life cycle of organization and probably grief cycle, so they can
widen there knowledge, which they ofcourse know, but that will be probably a
new approach and visioning for them.

As the time is very limited, it is always like this hear, except when we
agree on some several days event - that is really the goal of us to go
there, so we are trying to make some small portions of learning which are a
sort of complete but short...

how do you think?

So we did try to Open Space and we did think about harmony and talk a little
bit about this on the meeting but the different way I planned, ... but that
is our life here. be ready for everything and let it go...

best wishes to all of you

I will pray for Laurel, together with you. She is such a nice and bright and
light person!

take care

elena