More realness

Toni Petrinovich sacred at anacortes.net
Wed Sep 19 08:17:20 PDT 2001

A speech presented recently sent to me by another colleague on another list.  Blessings, Toni

About a month ago, I rode up with two colleagues to the Northwest Frontier

region of Pakistan bordering Afghanistan. We were covering a story on

Islamic militancy training grounds based in Pakistani religious schools.

In the west they have widely been reported to be ground zero for the

grooming of young Muslim boys into hostile anti-western terrorists. In

Pakistan, both the government and the men at the school hotly contested

these claims, castigating the west for generating such racist propaganda. I

traveled to this lost area with as little bias as possible - but with a

certain and undeniable fear in my heart.

In the school itself, the chancellor was most kind and hospitable. He had

us tour the grounds of the school, meet teachers and some of the boys -

though at first we weren't allowed to talk to them. We were then escorted

into his private residence. The first thing I noticed on the center table

was a bowl of big yellow mangoes and a picture. The picture was of our host

- an older Muslim Mullah wearing a traditional white turban and a stained

orange beard and his friend - Osama Bin Laden, the number one man on the

FBI's list of Most Wanted. I asked our host if we could interview him. He

agreed but insisted first that we share mangoes with him. I agreed and he

took out a long knife and proceeded to slice the fruit for me. We slurped

and chatted for a while and finally were permitted to turn on the camera.

I asked the Mullah a wide array of questions. "Did he hate the US? Why is

there such Anti-Americanism in this part of the world? Should Americans be

afraid?"

He answered them all eloquently and without hostility. He talked about the

history of the US and Afghanistan, how during the Cold War, they were

allies, united fighting a war against the Soviets.

"You gave us weapons and trained our men. You built our roads, fed our

people. Do you realize young man that your government helps to create and

to fund the Taliban because it was their interest to use Guerilla warfare

and terrorist tactics against the Russians? You made us your friend."

"But then your Cold War ended and you deserted us." At this point, there

was a hint of animosity in his voice. " Because it was no longer in your

selfish interest to have us as your allies, you abandoned us, left our

people, hungry, and hateful. You turned your friends into foes because you

used us like whores."

There was a silence between us.

Finally I asked him about the picture, about the nature of his relationship

with Mr. Bin Laden.

"He's an old friend. And a good man."

I shook my head. "Is he a terrorist?"

"We don't call him that here." The Mullah made it clear he was not

interested in talking any more. We shook hands. I thanked him for his

hospitality.

On the way out I thought about that hospitality. I knew that the Mullah

himself had endorsed a fatwa, or religious order, by Bin Laden several

years ago urging Muslims to kill American civilians. But here was this man

cutting mangoes for us and being very gracious.

"Today you are our guest. If we were not hospitable, we would be very

ashamed. But in times of war, yes you would be an enemy and we may kill

you. Today a friend, tomorrow, inshallah (God willing), there will not be

one."

* * * * *

Today Friday September 14, 2001, four days since the terrorist attack, it

appears we may be on the threshold of war. Our President has called it the

First World War of the 21st century. I am not sure whom we will be

fighting. I would like to go to my favorite café in the city - a small

Egyptian place on the Lower East Side that I have been going to since

college. The waiters - mostly young Middle Eastern guys who like to talk

about basketball and soccer, who come and sit at your table and share a

puff on the sweet tobacco hookas they serve there - they are my friends.

But I'm not sure when it will open again, if it will open again. There's a

Mosque next door that has been closed since the attack.

The weeks and months and perhaps even years ahead promise to be complex and

wary. Hopefully our leaders will be judicious, precise, and compassionate

in the difficult decisions that lay ahead. But it is each of us that now

must rise up and be the true warriors in this difficult time. Does that

mean seizing weapons and braving the threat of death out on a battlefield?

Precisely not. Because the battlefield is invisible. The enemy is elusive.

The web of evil too complex. Today there are no answers. It is too early

for solutions for remedies. For now we each have our stories - where we

were on the day that the twin towers toppled. Each one is dramatic; each

one is tragic. From this day forward, everyday I shall observe a quiet

remembrance for the victims of this calamity. Each one of us may choose our

own way how to memorialize this moment but I believe we are all obligated

to reflect for a moment, to care about our neighbor, to meditate for peace

and tolerance because ultimately the only forces that can defeat such

profound evil are compassion and hope.

I ask everyone on this board to join my father and me in prayer for the

healing of our wounded civilization (if we can call it that). Let us pray

every day to our Gods remembering, as my dad has taught me since childhood,

that Christ was not a Christian, Mohammed was not a Mohammeden, Buddha was

not a Buddhist, and Krishna was not a Hindu.

Love,

Gotham Chopra