Your view to the Prime Minister of Canada.

Michelle Cooper coopgrp at interlynx.net
Mon Sep 17 19:51:46 PDT 2001

I am attaching a request for input to Prime Minister Jean Chretien from the
Head of Policy for the Liberal Party of Canada (Our ruling party) below my
signature. I am on the Party e-mail list. While this  may be of primary
interest to Canadians,  I thought many of you would be interested (and
perhaps hopeful) that the feedback of the general public is being sought
from our leaders. I offer this to those Canadians who are not on this e-mail
list to have the opportunity to have your views heard. If you wish you can
hit delete now. There are also links. If you think others are interested,
forward it on. La version française de cette lettre est disponable aussi.
Michelle

Michelle Cooper, RN, MScN
The Cooper Group Consultants
200 Crestview  Avenue
Ancaster, Ontario
Canada L9G1E2
Telephone -     (905) 648- 4633
Fax -           (905) 648-1763
E-mail          coopgrp at interlynx.net
The paradox of control is simple. The more we try to control life, the
less control we have.  Joan Borysenko, Ph.D., Minding The Body, Mending The
Mind
From:
Akaash Maharaj, LPC National Policy Chair
<http://www.Maharaj.org/> <Akaash at Maharaj.org>
To:
National Policy Development Participants
Subject:
Canadian and NATO Briefing

__________

Dear Colleagues,

      I hope this letter finds you well, and in reasonable spirits.  The
tragic events of this week have led me to write to invite your views, as the
Liberal Party of Canada's National Policy Committee prepares our brief to
the Prime Minister and to our counterparts in the NATO-Russia Permanent
Joint Council (PJC), on responding to the terrorist assaults in the United
States.
      The actions in New York and Washington have not only shocked the
conscience of our nation, but also created a rare unanimity in the
international community.  There is a clear recognition in all major capitals
that if our compassion for the fallen is to be meaningful, and our duty to
the living to remain true, then our response must be swift and resolute.
      However, any effective response must grapple with the reality that the
terrorists responsible for these crimes have likely taken shelter in the
midst of unarmed civilians whom they or their political patrons are able to
repress.  This raises the profoundly troubling ethical question of how it is
possible for civilised nations to effectively combat terrorists, without
succumbing to the very terrorist tactic of sacrificing the lives of the
innocent in the pursuit of a political objective.
      I invite your comments on what you feel would be the most
strategically effective and morally sound stance for Canada and the member
states of the NATO-Russia PJC.  I should particularly value your thoughts on
the questions below:

*    Historically, Canada and NATO have dealt with countries sponsoring
terrorism by isolating them economically and politically.  If it emerges
that a state has given succour to the terrorists responsible for the assault
in the United States, should NATO escalate to direct military action (e.g.,
bombing and land invasion)?  What should be the strategic objectives of such
action (e.g., simple reprisal, neutralisation of its military capacity,
overthrow of its government)?
*    Should Canada's decision on whether to participate in such a military
strike depend on whether the action is likely to result in the deaths of
substantial numbers of unarmed civilians?  How should this vary if the
foreign state in question were to intentionally use civilians as "human
shields" in an attempt to blackmail NATO into staying its hand?
*    If NATO proceeds with military action, should Canada commit our troops
to combat roles and be prepared to suffer casualties?
*    If the American Congress legalises assassination by its armed forces or
intelligence services, should Canada consider itself bound under Article 5
of NATO's Washington Treaty to support the United States in an attempt on
the life of an individual identified as responsible for or complicit in the
recent terrorist attacks?
*    Does the government of Canada need to take steps to ensure that, as the
terrorists responsible for the attacks are identified, innocent Canadians do
not become the victims of public derision or hysteria merely because of
their religion or ethnicity?

      Our need to answer these questions suggests something of a loss of
innocence, but I hope you will agree that we can not allow questions of
state to be answered only by those who are at ease with death and
destruction, or by inaction allow passion to triumph over reason.  If we are
judged in politics by our ability to hold on to our ideals even as we are
being stripped of our illusions, then at this juncture more than any other,
we can not allow ourselves to be found wanting.
      Given that the gravity of these questions demands our patriotism
before our partisanship, I should be grateful if you would share this
invitation broadly, both within and without the Liberal Party.  With events
developing at a precipitous speed, I should ask for responses no later than
the end of day, Wednesday 19 September.
      As ever, I remain at your disposal if you have any questions or
concerns, or if I can be of any assistance to you, and invite you to contact
me via my web site <http://www.Maharaj.org/> or e-mail <Akaash at Maharaj.org>.
On behalf of the National Policy Committee, I thank you for your time and
effort.
Yours sincerely,
Akaash Maharaj
National Policy Chair, Liberal Party of Canada

<http://www.Maharaj.org/>
<mailto:Akaash at Maharaj.org>

effect.

Additional Resources: