Space Invaders? by Julie

J. Paul Everett JPESeeker at aol.com
Sun Sep 16 11:27:48 PDT 2001

In a message dated 9/15/01 12:24:52 PM, jsmith at mosquitonet.com writes:

<<  And I've wondered if those

who felt that way would feel this is safe enough space to express those

feelings.  I hope so.

Julie,

I am sure you will find it so.  You will also need to be willing to take in
and consider other viewpoints---not meaning you will agree with them.  :)

It is useful if we might separate two words, 'accept' and 'agree'.  'Accept'
means "consent to take in and consider", 'agree' means "consent to do or act
on".  When I am doing a training session, I ask everyone to commit to being
in an accepting space (an open space?), willing to take in and consider.  I
emphasize I don't want them to agree until they can decide to act on the
meaning of lesson.  But, I do ask they hold themselves in an accepting state,
emphasizing how difficult even that is.

We also deal with the judgment space, through which no learning or meaning
can penetrate.  If we are there, we might as well not be in the session and I
invite all those who cannot leave judgment outside to consider whether or not
this is a place they really want to be.  I've never had anyone leave and the
sessions generally go much more openly, with much more open discussion, even
vigorous presentation of other viewpoints, all in a very different framework.
 Everyone is heard who wants to speak.  Even unpopular or contrary viewpoints
are presented in an open way.

I am saying this because one of the premises of Space Invaders is that those
excluded had Hate in their hearts.  Now, you may have reached a point in your
personal development where you can shift someone's Hate, assuming it is truly
Hate for what you and your system stand for (in this case, freedom to become,
most especially for women, although even here in the US we have many miles on
that road to travel yet) but I haven't.  Unfortunately for me, then, I am
unable to open a space wide enough to take true Hate in.  Good luck.

Paul Everett