The answer, according to my daughter

Chris Corrigan corcom at interchange.ubc.ca
Sun Sep 16 02:57:36 PDT 2001

My daughter Aine and I were walking in the woods today playing a game.
She was pretending that there were monsters in the forest and that they
were coming to eat us.  We had to be vigilant.  We had to defend
ourselves.

I asked her "What is the plan? What are we going to do if we see one of
the monsters?"

She replied, "Feed them."

"Feed them?" I said.

"Yes," she said. "If we feed them they won't want to eat us."

I think she has the answer there.  Imagine if George Bush took that $40
billion that Congress gave him and used it to feed people.  Heck, take
$20 billion to fix up US security and clean up New York and use the
other half to feed people.  And not just feed them with food.

What if we decided that people's spirits needing feeding too?  What if
we chose to take $1 billion and build the biggest, most beautiful mosque
in the world, right in the heart of Kabul.  And what if we gave it as a
gift, no quid pro quo, as a place for people to feed their spirits?

What would the reaction be?  What do we want the reaction to be?  We
have choices

Seems we could bomb innocent people to death and celebrate, mirroring
the images of this week, and thereby satisfy our thirst for vengence.
But what would that get us?  A world that so admired the West that it
wanted to emulate it in every way and celebrates it;s way of life?  Or
would a large part of the 5 billion people that don't live in the west
see things differently?  Would more people feel as if vengence was the
only possible response, and figure out more simple and effective ways to
terrorize?  We can have that kind of world if we choose it.

Or we can take Aine's advice and feed people.  And what would that get
us?  There is no better way to rob the world of it's anger and
bitterness, jealousy and hate, than to feed people
unconditionally...feed their bodies, minds and spirits.  Build places of
learning, places of spirit, places for healing and nourishment, places
of community.

Take that $40 billion dollars and spend it in every neighborhood in the
world.  Put the world to work growing food, healing people, restoring
land and water, building communities, creating the thin fibres of
connection between peoples, families, communties, cities, nations....

"If we feed them they won't want to eat us."  Can you think of a better
form of security?

Love to all,

Chris

--