thoughts from down under

Andrea Penrose denny at dcsi.net.au
Sat Sep 15 02:16:10 PDT 2001

I have been receiving messages on this list for some time now and like a few other "newcomers" I have not felt capable of offering anything worthwhile to the list. In the last few days I have cried along with the rest of the world as I have watched and listened to the tragic loss of human life as a result of the terrorist attacks in the USA. I have a long-time friend who occasionally works in New York's financial district ... I am thankful that she is okay.
I am a secondary teacher in South Gippsland, Victoria, Australia and went into school the morning after the attacks to find several of my colleagues and many students crying and many others walking around dazed and shaking their heads in disbelief. There are 100 or more Australians feared dead as a result of these attacks but this is not why so many Australians are upset, confused and angry about what has happened in the US. Australians have felt helpless at not being able to do "something" to help our American friends. The kids at school want to "help" and in their misguided way believe that if they are angry and aggressive towards the muslims in this country that they are indeed doing their bit to help the USA and its allies. There have also been attacks on muslim schools, places of worship and businesses by angry Australians all over this country. Polls here, as reported by newspapers, show an overwhelming majority of Australians want and expect Australia to "do whatever is necessary to support the USA to retaliate against the terrorists". I am very concerned about what this retaliation may mean and I hope that clear heads will prevail ... there should be no more senseless loss of life.
How can I teach children that "two wrongs do not make a right" when the adults who run our countries are talking about "revenge" in a way that makes it sound "right"?
I am heartened by the messages I have read on this list and I will use some of them to help my students to understand that love, and not hatred, is the way forward.
Today, before the start of final of an Australian Rules football match, there was a minutes silence in support of our American friends... I listened to the game on the radio ... during the minutes silence the 85,000 strong crowd were indeed silent, except for the poignant cries of a new-born baby. Football is usually all important in the lives of Victorians but this week has taught us all that football is just a game ... freedom and love are what is most important ...

To our American friends ... we may be a long way away but our thoughts are with you all.