Now what? Reflections on redressing humiliation

Alan Stewart alan.stewart at senet.com.au
Thu Sep 13 23:26:36 PDT 2001

Dear Friends

Here are some of my reflections which you may find helpful. My desire to
share this was prompted by the remarkable courage I have noted by
people on this list in expressing their feelings.

And by a note from a friend who lives in lower Manhattan and with whom
I usually stay whenever visiting New York:

please tell everyone i am fine and in grief for the entire situation and
hope we do not retaliate in an awful way.

Christopher Hitchens, who writes for Vanity Fair, said on our national radio
(Australian) this morning that the kind of people who could perpetrate the
carnage we have just witnessed are those who hate what the modern world
represents.
"It is not possible to deal with these people, because they feel so
brutalised."
(at least this is what I understood him to say).

Robert Fisk, writer for The Independent, (and who has also featured
prominently
on our airwaves over the past few days) recounts his experience of speaking
personally with Mr bin Laden and realising how isolated he was from the
world around.
IS THE WORLD'S FAVOURITE HATE FIGURE TO BLAME?
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=93624

Robert also notes what people who have suffered deep humiliation are capable
of: "The wickedness and awesome cruelty of a crushed and humiliated people"
http://www.independent.co.uk/story.jsp?story=93623

Gregory Bateson, in his 'Steps to an Ecology of Mind' (I think), suggested
that the conditions imposed on the German people by the Treaty of Versailles
in 1919
led to their feeling so humiliated that they gave support to Hitler and
associated Nazi
terror.

I believe that Open Space Technology has the deep power to bring people who
feel isolated, alienated, humiliated to a place in which their passions are
heard and respected. And in which they can become more aware of their common
humanity
and the responsibilities this entails.

For my knowing from experiencing, and very likely many of yours too, is of
this fundamental law:

           'Whenever we treat each other well nice things happen.'

The main way in which we humans treat each other well? Making contact and
listening with attention.

And the space/place in which people are virtually guaranteed to feel
included, listened to? In a gathering - and in a culture - underpinned by
the principles and practice of our process.

As Peg, Harrison and all of you who have written so personally and
poignantly are alluding to, in my understanding, is that we have a critical
role and
responsibility to promote - and to seek sponsors of - this approach, at
every level of society
throughout our little planet.

And in so doing .

....We look into the face of pain
    and hold one another.                       Francesca Wright
.
- knowing that _noone_ is to be excluded.

Who knows what will then emerge?

Is there a more life-enhancing way to proceed?

Good to converse, with love

Alan
Adelaide