New York, the Pentagon

Anne Pattillo pattillo at actrix.gen.nz
Wed Sep 12 13:50:40 PDT 2001

Dear all,

In these early days of the unimaginable tragedy of yesterday - it
seems hard/impossible to get beyond a feeling of loss, disbelief, and
hollowness.  From this far flung distance at this time it seems only
possible to say our thoughts and hopes are with all those touched
more directly by these acts of terror.

As our formal leaders begin the talk to strength, evil, war and
determination - I am struck by the hope that the sense of
international community is maintained and developed not by a shared
threat but by the creation of a shared vision and shared leadership.

I think about what could I do from the bottom of the world - other
than use my distance.  A distance that allows me to move through the
cycle of shock, denial, anger, development and change a little more
easily than those whose lives have changed personally and directly.
I hope that other nations and people of the world reflect back to the
USA the powerful model of leadership they demonstrated with their
work in Ireland, in brokering a way forward in the terror in that
land.  A way forward developed by a return to and analysis of why the
conflict and terror existed and was sustained.  A way forward created
out of a determination to keep talking in the darkest hours.  A way
forward that is like all elements of the future still not certain but
clearer because of the guiding leadership of the USA.

My hope is in this darkest hour we as leaders use the inspiration of
the city of New York - built as a bold new and different place than
the York of old.  My hope is that our conversations and actions use
the lesson of the Pentagon - that the most complex of issues have a
surprising number of sides.

Anne

--
Anne Pattillo
Anne Pattillo Consulting Ltd

Telephone 64 4 473 2702
Fax       64 4 473 2703

Lagniappe: (lan yap') n. [Creole] a little something extra