COMPAQH-P

Beck György gbeck at beckground.hu
Sat Sep 8 05:43:15 PDT 2001

Dear Everyone,

The Wall Street Journal Europe has dedicated a full page to the Compaq - H-P
merger.
There was one sentence startling me, saying: "The real power in Compaq .lies
with the country managers who oversee distinct national operations, say in
France or the U.K. But at H-P, it's the managers, who direct specific
product lines, such as personal computers or UNIX servers, who hold the
reins.
<<If you want to set out a strategy for merging Compaq Europe and H-P Europe
it's not clear who should even be in the room>> . While each has a trace of
the other's model, the existing organisational differences could make it
harder to integrate the two companies should the proposed acquisition, ., go
through. Morover if H-P botches the combination, it risks losing scores of
talented managers and engineers, just as Daimler did when swallowed
Chrysler."

After reading it I see a slight chance of a global OS, involving local
operations and also the US HQ-s having initiated the whole merger.
I think we have a network of OS practitioners and software to handle the
on-line OS part.
There is not more preconception, but I think it is worth to think over.

I see one key question for the parties: go into a power game or finding a
synergic solution fos the monster borning.

Looking for your comments.

Gyuri
gbeck at beckground.hu