i was brainwashed

Raffi Aftandelian brynza at online.ru
Sun Sep 16 02:13:30 PDT 2001

Dear folks,

Lisa's police academy story (from the Future Search listserv-- see
below) triggered a memory of an important part of my life that I recall
from time to time but haven't really thought of since the US attack.

I lived from 1973-1982 (age 3 to 12) in Iran, which means I was there
during the Iranian Islamic Revolution and the US Hostage crisis. As an
Armenian-American who grew up there, I have always been confused or not
entirely clear as to where I am from. (My mother's side is Italian; My
father's side lived in Iran and in Georgia, first under the tsar and
then the Soviets).

Some may recall me speaking of a hate mixed with indifference as an
initial reaction to the bombing. I think this is about a residual hatred
of the US that never quite left me after 3 years of brainwashing in
those heady first years of the Islamic Revolution.

I recall:
-people selling cardboard puppets of Carter dressed in red, white, and
blue and with his toothy smile. You pull the tab and he hits himself in
the head-- the gesture for the Persian expression "dirt upon my head."--
something like "how awful" or a curse.

-standing in line before school each day and singing anti-Western (and
anti-Soviet) songs and shouting slogans like-- "Death to America", Death
to France, the USSR, to Carter, Brezhnev.

-exhortations to sing so loud that Khomeini could hear you...

-seeing anti-Western, pro-"Islamic" graffiti all over Tehran (imagine
the billboards of a major city all bearing instead of a materialist
message, an anti-Western one)

-the back of the US Embassy had been turned into an informal public
urinal. It was kind of, ha ha, funny to come on down and make your
"statement."

At the time this all seemed funny, we made up bawdy, raunchy versions of
some of the songs and slogans. But repeating the same thing over and
over again has an effect.

While I was clear on where my own sympathies lay --I recall attacking
the TV screen in anger upon seeing Khomeini broadcast-- an anti-US
message did get inside of me down deep.

Being anti-US is not the same as being a suicide bomber. But think of
this: the Iranian government used children aged 9-10 as human
minesweepers during the Iran-Iraq war (altogether 1 million people
died), the children were brainwashed into believing that their sacrfice
would take them to heaven. What separated me from them? I was a
(nominally Christian) Armenian from an upper-middle class family living
in the capital. The children were Muslim, from villages, and poor. But,
there were also Armenians who took part in that war...

There may be a jump from being anti-US to becoming a suicide bomber, but
it is not unfathomable.

We all have the capability to be a suicide bomber.

We need to ask the questions: Where is the suicide bomber inside of us?
When in life have I been the suicide bomber? How do we make friends with
him/her?

I'm going to chew on those questions today.

And I do hope that the US media begin asking the "why?" question and
"how are we responsible?" question.

Take care,
Raffi AFtandelian
Moscow