Kenoli's Comments--long reply

Meg Salter meg.salter at sympatico.ca
Sun Oct 28 12:23:26 PST 2001

Paul and Kenoli.........and all

Here' what I'm seeing in your vibrant exhange

> "This is a nation that needs shocking.  Most of what it gets is
> pablum, protecting it from the realities that we face on this planet.

We have indeed been shocked. And when one lives basically a life of ease and
power (as we do in the West) it is all too easy and convenient to blind
ourselves to our own role in creating suffering and injustice - both here
and abroad. So opening ourselves up to our errors and arrogance is probably
a good thing.

  I think  the truth is that we are not much better (or much worse) than
other
> countries.  There are exceptions, of course, in both directions.  But
> until we can own the horrible (yes horrible) things we do in the
> world we are going to keep doing them.  It is out of a love for this
> country that I want us to be able to see these things.

The thousands who come to American and Canadian shores think that conditions
are  better  in USA and Canada. They perceive political and economic
opportunities not possible at home. There has been a stream for several
hundred years - "the voice of the feet of the people"  in general toward
more openness and freedom.

And while original home conditions may be augmented by western powers, what
is the role of their own culture and political systems? If we say it is ALL
due to the "fault of the west", then we are actually totally disempowering
them, or not acknowledging their role as responsible humans, with a role inc
reating their own reality.

So I think there is a disconnect in your statement above. Some values are
better than others - the ones where compassion and dignity and respect are
extended toward a broader and broader segment of humanity (and the planet!)
Not just your own tribe or in-group.
And when we can see more clearly the horrible things that we do (and we will
probably continue to make errors - such being the nature of being human),
then we can more skillfully help others to achieve peace and justice for
themselves.

Meg Salter

MegaSpace Consulting
34 Eastbourne Ave.
Toronto, Ont M5P 2E9
Canada
416/486-6660
meg.salter at sympatico.ca
www.megaspaceconsulting.com

mailto://kenoli@igc.org)

Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 19:29:01 -0700
To: OSLIST <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU>
From: BJ Peters <bjpeters at amug.org>
Subject: Re: Kenoli's Comments--long reply

Kenoli-- My heart insisted I let you know that your heartful, authentic intention
came through loud and clear to me in your first message and in this one as well. I
hear you speak about staying open to knowing about what is really happening in
this complex world - our country's part in that and other countries' parts in it.
As you said, it is not about attaching labels of good and evil to any of these
events; it is not about blaming or scapegoating. It is about acknowledging and
moving on to how we can and must create a different reality. Only an informed
populace can do that; only individuals willing to challenge the current reality
can do that. And what an awesome responsibility it is to be informed and to
challenge the status quo in an environment where people are waving flags and
wearing T-shirts calling for violence; when our leaders and most members of the
media are declaring unanimity of support for doing what it seems we've always
done. It feels very lonely, doesn't it?

Thank you for sharing the views and the facts that tell a different story than
what mainstream sources can or are willing to tell. I am very grateful for your
doing it and hope you continue this educational process on this list.

Blessings --BJ