So now what.

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Wed Oct 17 11:29:42 PDT 2001

Joe--

Your project sounds very exciting, and addresses an issue which is important.

I've facilitated both workshops and Open Space where I did not know the
language, and will second Harrison's thoughts about non-verbal information.
Much of what I rely on, even in English, is body language and the tone of the
overall "buzz" of the sessions.

Our translators in Russia were incredibly helpful, translating our words both
aloud and onto posters.  They also took the time to find out what we were
trying to do, and were a wonderful resource to discuss and debate issues of
facilitation, helping us find words and actions which would convey our
intentions in another culture.

With or without computers for reports (handwritten reports on a simple form
are another method), you might convey the idea that one or two people in each
group can take notes for the group discussion.  At the end of the session,
they can check those notes with the group re: what are the important points
to report.  This is good practice whether or not people are literate, helps
to ensure that everyone's ideas make it to paper.

My guess is that this will prove to be an emotional issue, and your own
ability to stay centered and hold a space where it is safe for people to
speak their truth will be far more important than all the logistical details
combined.

Enjoy!  And let us know what happens.

Joelle Everett
Shelton, WA