Fighting Open Space Organizations

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Tue Oct 16 08:20:20 PDT 2001

this bit about the bin laden folks being organized in open space org
sort of way reminds me again of how true many of the things harrison and
the rest of us say so often about open space...   we really do live in
open space... every organization is a self-organizing system...  open
space gets people and organizations moving (without comment or judgment
on the direction in which they choose to move)... and the continued
truth of these things gives me some comfort that one more thing is also
true... whatever happens is the only thing that could have.  so the
question once again becomes, what are we wanting now? ...and what are we
willing to do about it?

and still...  the trick it seems in these far-flung networks is to
balance strength-of-identity/self with reach-and-permeability...
al-queda seems to be able to  do both of these at high level,
simultaneaously, to be very involved among us and still not become of us
at all.   can an open space organization be so un-permeable?  and if
this group is not-permeable, can it be an open space org... or are we
just projecting.  for the ken wilber devotees in the group... al-queda
must be more pre- than post-rational, under-evolved rather than
highly-evolved.  jelly fish look like networks, but aren't highly
evolved.  also, cancers can be horribly efficient at spreading
themselves, but never actually pop out of the host as a viable new
entity.  al-queda is incapable of developing worldwide airline schedules
and global internet and the other things that support the emergence of
really advanced, integrated, whole-species-as-whole-system sort of
bigger human body... the kind of body that we nurture/culture in open
space.... and still jelly fish and cancer and the rest do live and grow
and evolve in the open space we live in.

michael

--

Michael Herman
300 West North Avenue #1105