Fighting Open Space Organizations

Doris Gottlieb dlgottlieb at chello.nl
Tue Oct 16 01:03:46 PDT 2001

Hello,
Although I've been reading the posts on the list for some time, this is the
first time I've actually taken part in this, so let me introduce myself
briefly. My name is Doris Gottlieb, I live in the Netherlands and I work in
my consulting and facilitating practice around issues of diversity and
globalization.  I'm relatively new to Open Space. I too was very shocked as
I started reading about al-Qaeda and what seems to be in my mind also a very
empowering organization that runs on what seems to be passion and
responsibility and where the leader allows his "staff" to be innovative and
creative and operate on their own initiative, elements I recognize from OST
and many predominant OD philosophies. Last summer I did the Open Space
Technology training with Birgitt Williams in the Netherlands and I am now
eerily reminded eerily of one of the conversations we had at dinner about
ethics in facilitation.  The question was, in my mind, should you always
facilitate an Open Space Technology Meeting even if you think the
organization may do harm? (or the OST event could cause great harm?) What
are the ethics we as facilitators need to keep in mind.

I remember during our discussion I, and the training I was wrestling with
the idealistic nature of some of the thoughts about OST and other OD methods
for that matter. It can bring so much good and positive things into the
world it is hard to think that it could also bring negative things intot he
world.I think I am a pessimist at heart, but one of the things I think we
can learn from such insights is that great concepts and ideas can also be
used by people to get wonderful results doing terrible things. The fact that
something has the capacity for good, doesn't preclude that it has the
capacity for evil, and I think for me it means I have to be careful and very
aware of this whenever I work with people or bring something empowering into
the world.  So, maybe that means that as facilitators we also need to be
aware and open to these darker possibilities of our work?  Does that close
down the space?

Doris