Fighting Open Space Organizations

Meg Salter meg.salter at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 15 16:00:46 PDT 2001

Interesting that you bring this up. The more I have been reading - just general info like newspapers etc. - the more it seems that al-Qaeda is a thoroughly contemporary creation - trans-national, flat org structure, dispersed, multi-sourced,  cellular nature. I'm no expert, but it reminds me of Internet structure. So it is another demonstration of self-organization. I suppose self-organization can be used for many kinds of intent - benign or malignant. Same as cell growth in natural systems; normal healthy growth and differentiation, or cancerous growth.

The other thing that seems to be a possibility is a cult-like nature, centred around a charismatic leader. Cult features (as noted by an ex al-Qaeda member) are exclusive focus on the group, giving up all other interests ("you forget everything; your family, your business...."). So it may be self-organizing in structure, but its focus and intent is closed. The only good news is that most cults (which can be found in every country and religion!) eventually die out. Is this because the universe is essentially expanding, creating ever more openness...?

So I wouldn't call it a open space organization, as a primary intent of Open Space is to open up possibilities, diversity, difference. Self-organizing, yes. Open, no.

Thanks for bringing it forward.

Meg Salter

MegaSpace Consulting
416/486-6660