The Warrior -- Carlos Casteneda

J. Paul Everett JPESeeker at aol.com
Sun Oct 14 14:13:45 PDT 2001

In a message dated 10/14/01 1:53:01 PM, mherman at globalchicago.net writes:

<< are you saying, with this humor, that punching back is the *only* response
possible?  ...or the only response that is not optional?  ...or the only
response
that is to be expected?  have you never ducked, dodged, blocked or stepped
away?
must we always collapse into punching? >>

Hi, Michael,

No, of course not!!  I've ducked, dodged, weaved, ran, stepped back, etc., in
my 64 years of life but the "other" wasn't out to kill me, either.  That was
my qualifier--my life wasn't in real danger.  Nor was my freedom or that of
my family or children or wife, especially that.  I wasn't in danger of being
sent to a concentration camp or a gulag or a killing fields or...........I
was relatively safe.

When it gets unsafe in a meaningful way, and the "other" is bent on my, my
family's or culture's destruction because they want me dead or imprisoned or
in their control or ????-----, for whatever imagined reason, then, it's time
to punch back.  Power over others and their future is a deep sickness which
many people have.  We don't have to accede to that in order to have some
mythical "peace".  I, for one, will punch back.

Paul