Observers Of Open Space

Chris Corrigan corcom at interchange.ubc.ca
Sat Oct 13 00:37:44 PDT 2001

Depends on a number of things for me.  Biggest problem is the size of
the group.  With a small group, it's hard.  Easy with a big group.

My general approach is that if someone is interested in seeing the
process rather than participating in it, I ask them if they would like
to help me and then I clear it with my client that I will be bringing an
assistant along.  Then I put the person to work clearing coffee cups,
managing the proceedings, unrolling pieces of tape or whatever.  I see
it as a teaching/mentoring opportunity and it helps to take a load off
too.

It's not really possible to simply "observe" and Open Space event.  If
one cannot be a participant, then one can help hold the space.  I've
never seen anyone just sit aloof from the whole thing.  They get too
uncomfortable too fast, and besides, after the opening, there's not much
to look at (wink wink).  I wouldn't counsel you to take on more than one
or two people as "observers" or "helpers" though.  Participants, even in
large groups, may begin to wonder about the group of wide eyed
chattering visitors.

Cheers,

Chris

--