Fwd: Re: RPCV, here

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at snafu.de
Sat Oct 27 12:53:10 PDT 2001

Dear colleagues on the open space-list,
three weeks ago I received the mail below from a fellow "Returned
Peace Corps Volunteer" in response to my posting a statement from the
National Returned Peace Corps Volunteer Association.
I suggested to Blake, that I would like to post her letter to the
list...she agreed...and then things got out of hand a little with me
accompanying open space events all over.
So now in my housecleaning this weekend I ran across it again and I
think it is still timely.
Take care
michael in Berlin

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001 11:56:55 EDT, MmmBlake at aol.com wrote:

>Hello Michael,
>Thanks for the RPCV material.  I am one too, Fiji (93-95), so am delighted
>you added it to the OSlist.
>
>In way of introduction, I live on the coast of Oregon, a management
>trainer/consultant, who dropped out of corporate life in my mid-40s and
>joined the PC.  Was a 'management planner and advisor' in the Fiji Islands. I
>was 'helping' the villages plan their projects a little more efficiently and
>learning a great deal about myself and my own culture.  Nowadays it is a
>little lonely explaining my beliefs there were so eloquently written by the
>RPCV board.  I was called a communist by my neighbor.  Thanks for the help.
>It is sad that we are considered un-American when we speak of empathy and
>understanding.  However, I have come to believe that the dialog about who the
>US is in the world will happen.  It is just not the right time.  The analogy
>I think of is a battered woman (or man).  After the attack, the last thing
>the person wants to think about is the other person's feelings or have
>empathy for them, the batterer.  Protection, safety, healing needs to take
>place first.  The US is in such a place and I don't want to add to blaming
>the victim...it doesn't serve anyone.    In time the dialog will open to a
>wider audience and deeper healing will take place.
>
>I like your postings to the list...always know there will be a golden nugget
>in it.
>What are you doing in Europe?
>
>Blake Mills  (a woman with a man's name)

Michael M Pannwitz
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelMpannwitz.de

To subscribe to the oslist, send the following message (and nothing
but the message):

"SUBSCRIBE OSLIST" to listserv at listserv.boisestate.edu
SUBJECT field should be left BLANK