Opening Space Hither and Yon

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 25 14:35:48 PDT 2001

Recent news from Cincinnati sounds good... From Susan Smyth
<SUSANSMYTH at aol.com> Also from "Down Under" Joan Smith
<joanis at ozemail.com.au> they don't show up too much on The List -- but
thought I would give them a spot.

ho

GoTeam!
We're launched! Thanks to all of you plus the enormous efforts of our Open
Space Leadership Team Co-Chair, Daniel Epstein, we have finally had our first
real Open Space experience!!! P&G's ADOPT program used Open Space as the
format for an afternoon of dialogue. And the results were wonderful---
heart-warming, surprising, uplifting.

A very diverse cross section of 49 P&Gers assembled Friday afternoon for 3
hours of Open Space to dialogue on the theme of Building Communities of Peace
and Inclusion. Tiffany Taylor and I facilitated. Tiffany was the perfect
choice. She left P&G after 13 years on Oct. 1 to pursue her passion of
helping the world understand
cultural differences. She was able to speak with credibility to the concerns
of P&Gers about this funny thing called Open Space and belief-bending
concepts like "whoever come are the right people" and the Law of Two Feet.
The topics people brought forward were deep and from the heart.
Daniel will send along the list of the topics for all of you to see. The
only hard part of the day was to stop the spirited dialogue long enough to
do the
final debrief and have people share a word about their experience. My take on
what they shared was: 'this works for us and we want more.'
The team Daniel partnered with at the company who sponsored the Oct. 19
effort have a long term responsibility to provide solutions within P&G to
heal the racial divide in Cincinnati. They will let us know as they continue
to assess the Open Space pilot how and if they will want our ongoing help.
No matter how that sorts out, yesterday was a huge success. For Open The
Space Cincinnati and P&G. My deepest gratitude to all who have helped make
this possible. I
particularly want to thank Daniel whose courage and persistence in making
this happen have been truly exceptional. We've all acknowledged that hardest
way to do this Open Space work is within the confines of our work place.
 From a career standpoint, there is nothing to gain by taking the stand for
building communities of peace and inclusion, and doing it by having people
come together to TALK, in an open forum, of all things! We got where we are
as a divided city by many people at many turning points taking the safe way
out. This was no safe choice on Daniel's part. My deepest respect to you,
my friend.
Thanks each person involved with Open Space Helpers without whose efforts
this result would not have been possible. It renews my commitment to open the
space. I ask that each of us look into our hearts as well as our
rolodex/contact lists and see where we can create the opportunity to open the
space.
Blessings,
Susan
Open Space Facilitators Leadership Team