A subject too big for poetry

Winston Kinch kinch at sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 24 05:27:11 PDT 2001

Re: [OSLIST] the right to treat each other well (long response)I have a friend named Baba.
She recently sent me this poem. For me, it captures with great power and beauty much of our discussion on the topic over the past month or so. She wrote it the day after what has subsequently come to be known as 911 (the poem has nine lines: including the title and signature, eleven). Florian, can I enter her poem in our contest?
Winston
A subject too big for poetry

can softness come
from steel and glass colliding
or clarity from concrete churned with rage?
in this unholy uproar
what is the provenance of stillness?
with fear unloosed and everything on fire
and falling
how to imagine love
and a road rising up?

Elizabeth Rajkumar