500 plus!

Beck György gbeck at beckground.hu
Tue Oct 23 00:47:48 PDT 2001

Dear Elena!

Thank you for sharing your way of learning. I do agree, that some initial
investment is needed in order to get the OS known, wherever you are in the
world.

I work self-employed on the training and consulting market with some bumps
on the road, that would be long to describe. All on all I can not afford to
devote many of my time for things that don't pay, though I did not give it
up.
Even if the OS society would have paid for all those, that had done for you,
I don't think I could have gone to all the events you mentioned. (Once maybe
I will apply ;-)

You have reinforced me to meet the Soros foundation (you might know George
Soros is Hungarian born).

I do understand your problems with the fees. As a humorist said for Hungary,
the Swedish prices are combined with the Tansanian wages. I don't complain,
I think the situation is much better then at yourselves. You still pay the
price of the 5 kopek metro ticket, etc. I think, we have to go for a balance
between value, price and commitment.
(Low price means low value and low commitment, High commitment mean higher
price nad hence higher perception of value, etc.)

And from here I can switch to answer Kenoli:

Many time I say: I wish to work instead of fighting for the possibility to
work! It is valid for many things and the OS among others. Since everybody
is fighting and less working, it is not helping to find time and efforts to
sit down and thinking of issues of the highest importance.

At last an example: I think the OS could help to win the forthcoming
elections for any party, that would use it. The democracy means an election
in every four year, and in the meantime those in power do whatever they
want. So I have a lot of doubts to "give" this tool to any of them.
Let me invite your comment about it.

Gyuri