economic self interests of governments

Julie Hotard julie at pinefish.com
Wed Oct 17 15:10:22 PDT 2001

Hi, Artur

All governments "selfishly" try to act in their own economic
best interests, and tare sometimes short-sighted in that
area, and he U.S. is no different.  I suppose the
most reasonable course would be something between the
generosity which the U.S. has already extended to many
countries being extended to the Arab world, and a path of
defending itself and pursuing justice when attacked.  I suppose
that is what the U. S. government thinks it is pursuing now in
Afghanistan.

Actually pursuing economic gain is often easier on the folks affected than pursuing religious zealotry.  The unemployed folks of both genders would  in Afghanistan would certainly eat better if employed at jobs having to do with a new oil pipeline put in by some oil company, than they do now.  When people stop making war or terrorism to pursue money, sometimes that's good, or at least it's the lesser of the 2 evils.  Terrorists in the mid-East might do themsleves and the world a favor by facing the fact that if commercial airlines suffer because people are afraid to fly, and so airlines buy less oil, that doesn't help the mid-East economies very much, nor does it take care of the interests of  the wealthy folks who are funding the terrorists with their oil profits.  .

Perhaps one solution to this whole issue is for everyone to
use less and less oil and to search high and low for alternative
fuels.

Although I like the ideas of love and peace, I am not one myself to think that Hitler, or similar personalities, should be left to keep their programs going, because all problems can be solved through peace and love, or because some Germans wouldn't have liked it if we had taken out Hitler, so they might have hated the U.S.  If we had only gone after Hitler and others in control of and directly responsible for the mass murders, we might have saved a lot of lives of young soldiers--, German, American, and from other countries too.  If we
would have needed a small cover war to cover it up while we searched them out, it would have killed far fewer people than the WWII did have.

Julie  .