Talking Stick

David Adams david at adamsassociates.com
Sun Oct 14 12:14:45 PDT 2001

Please hold the talking stick a while longer, Florian,
it rests well with you
a baton for the authority of gentleness;
a wand of magic wonder at the universe;
a beacon of the power of innocence.

Here it is autumn. This place is buried in a mist.
Human spirits are weighed in sorrow, anger and confusion.
Where is the energy to heal wounded hearts, bodies
and relationships of a fractured world?

Does 'progress' yield no more than a bigger stage
for the magnified interplay of ancient human enmities?
Who but humans create hell in paradise?

Look quietly and listen.

Can we sense, might we gather
the energy of plant beings, to gently break the concrete
that lies across men's souls?
the perception of animal beings, to prize a path through
our willfulness of plenty, our anxiety of want?

Can we revere with any humility
the abundance of our mother,
the generous earth who denies us nothing
and who waits, enduring in patience, for honour and respect?

Can we again dance and dazzle in the sun
as brilliant children of eternity?

Not long ago this List spoke of a next Buddha as a collective.
Who shall find such form, such freedom, such discipline?

Perhaps it is time to walk without knowing,
to hold out our questions
as petals on a treasured flower
which at the brink of rage
awakens care and tenderness
and is gone

David Adams
Adams Associates
Meadowhead, by Cleish, Kinross, UK, KY13 0LP
Tel: 44 (0) 1577 850330
Fax: 44 (0) 1577 850285
Mobile: 0797 1092167
Email: Solutions at adamsassociates.co.uk