Openinf Space in New York

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 10 05:27:34 PDT 2001

Last weekend, Karen Davis and I opened space for an organization supporting
international students in New York. Everybody took a hit in the Big Apple,
but my heart really went out to those students. Far from home and in the
center of the storm -- literally. And just to make matters worse, they were
also worrying about the possible cancelation/restriction of Student Visas
by the US... Pretty tight space.

Anyhow, 100+ folks from 45 countries showed up. We did it in a Jewish
facility on the Sabbath (open specially for us). There is something rather
special (only in NYC sort of thing) when Muslim women with heads covered
show up in the same space as a Jewish congregation worshipping on the
Sabbath. We did the thing for a day, and the issues were pretty much what
you might expect. At the close one person said something like -- Thanks for
the space. I could breath for the first time since 911.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA