TP Msg. #358 GLOBAL LEARNING DAY V

Artur F. Silva artsilva at mail.eunet.pt
Fri Oct 5 06:41:10 PDT 2001

                     TOMORROW'S PROFESSOR(SM) LISTSERV
          "desk-top faculty development, one hundred times a year"
             STANFORD UNIVERSITY LEARNING LABORATORY (SLL)
                    http://sll.stanford.edu/

        Note: Previous Listserv postings can be found at:
http://sll.stanford.edu/projects/tomprof/newtomprof/postings.html

Folks:

As was the case last year, I am happy to announce Global Learning Day V, to
be held around the world on October 7, 2001. The announcement below is a
brief overview followed by a sample of topics and talks, and some
commentary on why this is not "just another conference". Much more
information can be found at: http://www.bfranklin.edu/gld5event/summaries.html

Regards,

Rick Reis
reis at stanford.edu
UP NEXT: Faculty Careers

                          Tomorrow's Academy

        ---------------------- 1,042 words --------------------

                        GLOBAL LEARNING DAY V

Global Learn Day V is a non stop 24 hour webcast that features exceptional
people and activities from 24 time zones, all with a great deal of real
time interactivity between speakers and the audience. It opens in Fiji
(where the planet begins the new day) and "travels" west all the way to the
Cook Islands --on the right hand edge of the International Date Line. While
in the South Pacific, the audio will be carried by satellite to radio
listeners in an area larger than Russia. The theme of GLD5 is to
demonstrate the linkages between radio, telecenter distance education,
distance training and distance jobs. GLD5 opens 00:01 GMT Sunday October 7
- which is Saturday afternoon, October 6, in the Americas. For more
information on how to attend, free, from your desktop, visit
http://www.bfranklin.edu. For the timetable and speakers' profiles visit
http://www.bfranklin.edu/gld5event/summaries.html

                       SAMPLE TOPICS AND TALKS
* Telecenters and Affordable Education, Worldwide

* The Role of Radio, The Internet and Education

* The Challenges of a Big Ocean, Scattered People, Small Money

* E-Education: Hope for the Philippines

* We are all Disabled When it Comes to Education

* Advancing Women's Opportunities in Africa with Radio

* Radio, Education and East Africa

* Solar Power and Distance Education in Ghana
* Dessimination of Education to the Masses

* An Important Message from Central Europe

* Integration of Community Radio with the Internet

* Networking is about People, not Machines

* Technology, Commerce and Education

* Radio, Education and the American University

* The Education Scare: The Monster is Out There!

* Employment Outlook for Online Degrees

* The End Of University

Commentary:

Isn't GLD just another routine announcement of a routine conference? So
what if it's virtual? So what if it's physical? What's different about this
than that from a gazillion other conference announcements?

Here's our response.

We think putting on a non stop 24 hour event that features exceptional
people undertaking extraordinary activities from 24 time zones is something
no one else even attempts, much less will have done for five years in a
row. Free to anyone with an Internet connection. Or in some cases a radio.
Made possible by volunteers who provide the fuel for a Voyage that begins
on the left hand edge of the date line, in Fiji, and ends on its right hand
side, somewhere in the Cooks...or is it the Marriana's?

We think few would dare to have on the same agenda scientists talking to
the audience by ham radio from Antactica; and Africans talking from solar
powered telecenters in Nigeria. We think it's pretty unusual that while in
the South Pacific our friends there will carry our broadcasts by satellite
to people who are scattered over an expanse as wide as all Russia.

We think the subject of Conflict Resolution is extremely important. Which
is why we had long ago scheduled a stop in Burundi to visit with those
close to the agonies of Rwanda. We think our stops in the UAE, Oman, Cairo
and Karachi will give insights valuable to those who are far more than an
ocean apart. And both our keynotes and our stops in New Delhi, Sao Paolo
and Belfast will make clear the role of the radio.

We think our stop in Chicago to view recycling of old computers bound for
Mexican e-learning centers in Baja will add to the example of some award
winning South Americans who took 600 tired machines from America and turned
them into 100 plus learning centers in outback Peru. Not to mention their
work with Hispanics all over the American mid-West.

We think our stop in New Zealand with a young mother who makes her living
on the Net and our stop in Australia about "A Development Vehicle in Remote
Aboriginal Australia" are just different sides of the same coin. We think
that Alfred Bork and Terry Redding are on to something when one writes
intensively about very substantial reductions in costs and the other is
passionate about the imperatives of lifelong learning. We think Guy
Bensusan is blazing a trail where the learners are the ones out front. That
more might be accomplished by working with those under twenty than by those
over fifty.

We think the tools we use to make this event the most interactive
conference of all time are not just the finest on the planet; but also the
most affordable; and the best integrated.

We think our conference is the model of the future, not so much because of
it's global reach or innovative technology, but because so much of the
content is available in advance and all of it available from the archives.
We think that the purpose of any real time meeting is as much to stimulate
interest and excitement as it is for dialogue and debate. That while
critical thinking comes best from quiet reading and deep reflection,
nothing quite concentrates the mind like preparing for an event. And that
you don't need to be belly up to the bar to have fun; or meet new friends
with something compelling to say. Or learn about an activity worth
listening to.

We also think that when our very long day is completed, a whole lot of
people will better understand the prime message of GLD5 - that education is
about convergence - radio, telecenters, e-education, e-training and e-jobs.
That there is no single "solution". And, that even with cataclysmic events,
changes in long held habits and long held practices is always slow,
incremental and fragmentary.

Finally this. We hope to make clear our solid understanding of a message
sent to us by one of our strongest supporters, Blaine Berger: It
reads:  "Most people overestimate what can be done in one year; and
underestimate what can be done in ten."

Global Learn Day5 is halfway to Ten. Is it really possible we will turn our
dream to make Global Learn Day as big as Earth Day? That maybe, just maybe,
others with deep pockets and great reach will (someday) join us to help
prove our vision that Earth Day and Global Learn Day are also different
sides of the same (planetary) coin?

Please forward this message. That is if you think GLD5 is exceptional.

John Hibbs
hibbs at bfranklin.edu
http://www.bfranklin.edu
Speaker Agenda