Moving Open Space without closing it . . .

Barry Owen homselr at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 1 08:53:18 PDT 2001

Just some random thoughts because I was a bit unsettled . . . This is
probably "nothing" but then . . .

I have heard several stories of Open Space events having to move from one
physical space to another - successfully . . . Can this be done in  virtual
space? I guess the "standard response from Open Space gurus" would go
something like: "If there is really sufficient passion for which the
participants are willing to take responsibility, then the participants will
do what it takes to continue the dialogue . . . else, it is over!"

The "moving of Open Space" happens because the "old space" is no longer
"safe space" for those participants exploring that particular theme . . .
and so they pick up and move to a new area.

What happens when folks have passion for the theme, but don't have the
technological know-how to go to the new location? Does this simply mean
their passion is not high enough - or they are lazy and the theme should
just die?

How easy is it to hit the "DELETE" button on unwanted incoming emails? Is
this equivalent to "the law of two feet?" . . . or should the discussion
participants themselves utilize the law of two feet to "make space" for
other threads - Is there not enough space on this list serve for multiple
threads?

Is there a facilitator on the listserve? Are we ALL "holding the space?"
Does the space "close" when someone arbitrarily imposes some limitations . .
. or is this just "self-organization" at work?

Who decides when it is over?

I suggest it is over when the space is no longer safe to discuss "it."

What happens to the people who have the passion but not the ability to move
with the discussion to a different location (whether it be due to time
and/or technology restraints)? . . . Hmmmm . . . I guess their passion just
doesn't run deep enough . . . and they find other ponds to swim in.

Whatever happens is the only that could . . .

Ah well, I will admit to having been somewhat overwhelmed (and even bored at
times) with the mass of messages concerning the 9/11 tragedy. There were
days I simply deleted the messages without reading them . . . and now the
location has changed to a place which is less convenient for me . . . I miss
seeing all of the perspectives here, yet I am too lazy to go to the other
place . . . my passion is not deep enough to cause me to take the time to
log into another space (other than email) . . . and so if it is over for
this space, it is over for me (and most probably for other people) . . . and
my contributions to the discussion will happen tete-a-tete.

With trepidation, I now hit the "send" button - not sure that I have said
anything of consequence, but feeling somewhat better for having said
something in what I construed to be a new void.

Love and respect to ALL,

Back to changing diapers,

Simply living the FourFold Way in Open Space . . .

Barry Owen
The Owen Group
5200 Maryland Way, Suite 101
Brentwood, TN 37027