Self-organization

Glory Ressler on.the.edge at sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 20 07:24:35 PST 2001

Well, well....
A lovely chat, to be sure... I especially appreciated the dance
metaphor  - I/we am/are a dynamic interplay of current, limited,
physical manifestation and pure potentiality... and the mathematical
equations... and the free will / self-organization thread.... and...

By virtue of our being here, we are self-organized.  Everything that is
has self-organized.  If we hadn't, we wouldn't be here - evolutionarily
speaking. if we don't successfully self-organize in response to
environmental disturbances, we become extinct.  In fact, we carry the
self-organizing cellular memory of all that has been before us.  It is
also useful to think of a continuum... which for me is spiral rather
than linear.

And there is an important distinction between self-organization and
conscious self-organization.  To consciously do so is to know, in each
moment, that you have co-created the conditions you are currently
experiencing.  In some way.  To exercise control whilst you claim not to
be doing so and to exercise control, in awareness and authenticity, are
two different animals.  Like dreaming and lucid dreaming.
Self-organizing and consciously self-organizing. Self-organizing and
free will - choice implies knowing what we have to choose from.

The hitch comes because we attach an introjected judgement on what we
'should' or 'should not' be doing.  Control is not inherently a bad
thing.  We have internal control in terms of how we choose to respond.
It's when we attempt to control external things that we run into
trouble.

Also, to see the utility and wisdom, honestly, in all that we are
presently believing and doing AND also to have a call or longing for
something beyond the present is to interpersonal and intrapersonal
psychology what the necessary tension and interaction between fields is
to complexity theory.

Open Space Technology is absolutely and by far the best living
experiment, I know of, in social-self-organizing. The consciousness
comes via the format and principles and one law.  When enough of us
(critical mass) learn to individually consciously self-organize then we
will begin the journey into collective intelligence and conscious
collective self-organization.  Then we'll really be at play in the field
of co-creative meaning and manifestation!  The question for me is, What
will the quality of this be?  And this takes me back to the conscious
self-organization (meaning, values and quality making) of my own
experience.

Thanks to you all!  I'm enriched by your perspectives....

best,
glory
'If it isn't a happy ending, our story isn't over yet.'

Glory Ressler, B.A., Dip. GIT
Lynne Bubic, B.A., L.L.B.
Rob Mailey, EMCA, Dip. GIT
Avalon Consulting & Associates
Phone: (905) 937-2177
www.edgeofavalon.com
"...the edge where 21st century scientific insight and ancient
storytelling wisdom meet in the service of transformation and growth"