Self-Organization...More...

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Sun Nov 18 09:25:03 PST 2001

hello harrison, chris, paul, prasad, jeff and all... thanks for this thread...
am swirling a bit now and trying to catch up... and wanting to take this in a
different direction, more somatically grounded...

have been working lately to notice the relationship within body of pelvis,
heart and brain... power, caring, seeing (eyes being extrusions of brain)....
linking to the beginnings of this thread, hunter/gatherer relies on the
movement of legs and pelvis, as you say chris, this thread does have legs!
farming is more about caring for that space that we can get our arms and
fences around, agriculturally and in legal/business ways, technology, which
paul raises as the third wave, is all about knowing and seeing more... and the
challenge now seems the ability to develop all of these and to pulse between
these more quickly and easily until they unite...  hunt/gather, farm, tech...
pelvis, heart, brain... power, caring, seeing...  and then we could add
harrison's reactive, responsive, proactive...  and all this mirrored in our
the current level of brain structure... reptilean, limbic and neocortex...
reptilean  and limbic brains are old and already merged, neocortex is new and
still not fully integrated from where it sits atop limbic structures...
reflex, emotion, rationality...  moving toward integration, interactive, soul
(as harrison says... getting it all together)...

...yes, i think a reawakening of dormant pelvic power is one thing that
happens in open space... when we literally give people their feet back...  and
we ask them to connect their hearts to that power, by tying the use of power
to passion (caring) and responsibility (their ability to fence something in as
theirs to cultivate)... and then we also stack on top of all of this our
various technologies, from bulletin board to computer, so that they can see
what is going on in the bigger body that emerges in open space....

most important learning for me in open space is that the process invites us to
be powerful, caring and smart all at once... while other/traditional/formal/or
whatever  forms of organization usually pit these against each other in order
to limit all... labor and management meet as power and smarts, caring is
farmed out to human resources...

...having been out walking in the dark some years ago, not seeing too well,
and stepped off a small cliff, landing on rock with pelvis has led me to pay
more attention to how i bring my own awareness, care and movement to these
various aspects of self, especially when i'm opening and holding space.

not sure how to ask a question from here, or how this fits in, but like chris,
just wanted to get this into the mix here...  again, many thanks to all and
yes my head did ache a bit prasad, but probably from the weight of reading so
many messages in a row!  good to see you here again!

michael

--

Michael Herman
300 West North Avenue #1105