Self-Organization...More...

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Sat Nov 17 08:12:23 PST 2001

To me, "self-organization" is a metaphor that is used to describe the
fact that patterns of relationships between entities emerge when the
conditions or present and that some principles are usually involved in
those conditions.  Atoms, rocks, life, organizations, meme's are all
emerge in to being. (According to Greaves and the Spirial Dynamics
folks, memes are "self-organizing".)  Every thing manifests in every
moment out of its relationships to "entities" in the past moment
(according to Whitehead, and I think he's right).  Our consciousness as
humans shapes that emergence, but I think aspects of the process of
becoming can be described and some of the principles can be described.

Those patterns of relationships between people are shifted, in some time
and space, when the space is intentionally opened. When the Principles
and Law are brought to consciousness.  It may be that opening the space
is a "hunter" thing, Chris, to do for an outside consultant, at least
it's intentional.  It may allow for a new "garden" of changed (or even
new) relationships to form for awhile in an organization.  Whether that
garden continues to grow in that organization or community is dependent
on many things.  It can enable people to experience (sometimes
consciouisly) a new way to relate that the "control" processes they have
been using.  It certainly leads to new connects, new leaning and often
an experience of a higher or deeper level of spirited working and being
together.

I think "Self" organization has taken on some important meaning,
particularly for those of us with a "green" orientation because it
counters the proactive (orange) view that every thing has to be
proactively managed.  It is a step in our understanding of phenomena, of
what happens and helps me clarify what to do and not to do, what to
expect and to be surprised about.

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation