Self-Organization...More...

Chris Corrigan corcom at interchange.ubc.ca
Fri Nov 16 16:29:09 PST 2001

Harrison Owen wrote:

>  At 11:56 AM 11/16/01 -0800, you wrote:
>
>> I agree with the need for a different metaphor, but I don't that
>> gardening is it.  The point about water and fertilizer kind of
>> underscores my point: gardens (in the commonly accepted sense) do
>> not self-organize.  Not at all.  They require a tremendous amount of
>> planning, cultivation and work.  You must beat back weeds and
>> nurture the things that you DO want to grow.  You must water if your
>> chosen plants are not native to your area.  You must mulch if they
>> fear cold.
>>
>> In short, gardening is, in my mind, the very antithesis of the new
>> metaphor.  It requires a large amount of energy from outside the
>> system to be put into the system.
>

> Ah Chris -- you have fallen into my trap, made my point -- and my day.

Laughing my head off!  Not the first time I've fallen into a trap of
yours, big guy!

> The gardening you are talking about is that practiced by an
> auto-mechanic. Everything according to the plan. Bolt on a new plant
> and forget its natural habitat. After all that is what it says in
> "Home and Gardens" -- and every homeowner MUST follow the rules. And
> for sure take some exotic creature that can't stand cold and plant it
> in the Arctic. After all it is a part of the plan. Wheeeeew -- hard
> work for sure. But is that the only way??? You could see what grew
> naturally -- all by itself. And then help it along. That is really
> what I am talking about. Look before you leap. Don't fix it if it
> ain't broke -- and I am sure some other trite phrases would cover the
> issue.
>
> ho

...uh, yes.  That's what I'm saying too...

Have a good weekend.  I'm off to eat fern rhizomes...

Chris
....wondering if there is a smiley for "rolling eyes."

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Consultation - Facilitation

http://www.chriscorrigan.com