Self-Organization????

Nino Novak nino.novak at tuebingen.netsurf.de
Fri Nov 16 02:48:52 PST 2001

On Nov, 16th Harrison Owen wrote:

> My friend Birgitt Williams appears to have some difficulty with the notion
> that organization, forming in Open Space, is in fact self-organization at
> work. Or in her words, "For me, the conscious Open Space Organization, as
> I understand it is not a self organizing system."

Dear Harrison,

are you pointing at the paradoxon that self-organisation occurs anyway -
even if we "try to win" (i.e. to influence the outcome)?

So - when I try hard to achieve a certain result, am I then hindering
self-organisation?

(I don't think so, I rather think that my "directed" activities are part of
the process of self-organisation of the system I live in).

On the other hand, I think that actions of human beings are to a great
extent motivated by somewhat like their biological needs. And the means they
use (e.g. military power, or demagogic speech, or personal communication)
are the means that they feel to be adequate to achieve their goals.

Now, in my personal judgement there are certain means I don't like, and
others I do prefere. I like to feel empowered, active, cooperative and
constructive. And I enjoy  "group feelings", when things like "success" or
"love" happen to happen.
(Sometimes I think that, the opener the space - the more I like the process
;-)

My question now is, why not "try to consciously open space"? Is it a
contradiction in re?

(or have I basically misunderstood your thoughts?)

Sincerely
Nino