OS for Catholic Diocese Strategic Planning process, Weekend #2 (long)

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at snafu.de
Fri Nov 16 02:01:04 PST 2001

Dear Lisa,
your vivid report put me right there. Thanks.

Felicia Schulz and I just completed a quartett of 2,5 day open space
gatherings for the Church of Saxony (center is Magdeburg, just west
of Berlin) which encompasses some 1500 parishes. There were 60
participants on the average, about a total of 260.
Each os stood on its own being conceived as a regional gathering. One
of the converging methods we tried successfully was to let the
participants cluster the reports (around 25 to 30 in each gathering)
after all groups had completed their sessions and produced their
reports into "issue families". This worked quite well, involved
everyone who cared to participate  and in all 4 events led to 7
"families" that included all issues worked on, so nothing got lost.
After the families had been established, everyone had the opportunity
to write further comments, propose action steps, etc. on a poster
placed next to each family.
There was no prioritizing but on "day three" people had a chance to
gather in as many constellations as they wanted to for action
planning. Between 6 and 15 action plans were agreed upon at each of
the meetings, a total of about 40.
We are now in the process of having follow up meetings in each region
(one did take place, three more to come).
A central group will look at the 4 documents and come up with an
overview for the church leadership.

Reading your report and looking at my notes made me aware of the
cultural/spiritual differences between your and our client
systems...but open space seems to be doing just fine in either
setting.

Wintergreetings from Berlin
michael

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 20:40:23 -0800, Lisa Heft wrote:

>Thank you for all your support and great ideas regarding this second and
>final weekend of an Open Space for the local Catholic Diocese's
>strategic planning process.  I'll now try to summarize how Weekend #2
>went.

Michael M Pannwitz
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelMpannwitz.de

To subscribe to the oslist, send the following message (and nothing but the message):
"SUBSCRIBE OSLIST" to listserv at listserv.boisestate.edu
SUBJECT field should be left BLANK