Self-Organization????

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Thu Nov 15 10:48:00 PST 2001

I generally that Harrison has got it mostly right on this one.

I think "self-organization" needs also to be put in context.  I don't
have time for a long or well thought out statement, but here are a few
points:

-Self-organization describes the natural, emergent processes of complex
systems.  And the conditions for it can be enhanced or not.  Using Ken
Wilbur (and Harrison's adaptation) it is a description of what happens
in the lower right quadrant, what the collective exterior of all complex
systems do.

-Awareness of it is at the "interactive" level of organizational
consciousness.  It is the growing recognition that organizations are in
fact organisms - living.  Self-organization is part of what living
things do.  It is a useful metaphor for shifting up the spiral
(dynamics) form "orange" consciousness (proactive) to a "good" green
consciousness (interactive, connected)

-The scientific phrase, "self-organizing" is still "flat land", it does
not acknowledge the other quadrants.  From a spiritual perspective, at
other levels of awareness the self that self-organizes and the Self (and
my self) are one.

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation