Access Queen says hello...and lets you know about current airfares...

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Tue Nov 6 20:00:06 PST 2001

Hello, dear friends and colleagues --

At the OSonOS in Vancouver this August, several of us hosted sessions on
how to make it easier for those of you with less financial ability to
attend the next OSonOS.

As a result of our conversations, I volunteered to become the
point-person for one year (until the next OSonOS) for information
exchange regarding who needs what and who can help whom so we all have a
chance to experience the annual global OS meetings in-person -- a rich
experience, indeed.

Laurel Doersam has now named me Access Queen.  I wave a royal hello.
Call me what you will (and you will).

I will appear periodically on this listserv to let you know of
opportunities for helping yourselves and helping each other get to
Melbourne for OSonOS in OZ in Melbourne, Australia next November 9
through 12.

Just to give you a general idea of airfares, for example, here is an
estimate as of mid-October, thanks to Brian's travel goddess, Joy:

These are to Sydney, and we imagine that getting to Melbourne will be a
relatively similar price.  Airfares may change radically over time, of
course  And you each know best what your comfort level is regarding air
travel these days.  But here is an idea:

- - - - -

Return excursion air fares i.e. not full economy but with restrictions
and subject to seasonal surcharges as a starting point are at present

Moscow/Sydney  USD 1140.00 to 2494.00 (in rubles: 33,915.00 to
74,196.50)

San Francisco/Sydney USD1298.00 to 2318.00

Toronto/Sydney USD1398.00 to 2905.00 (in Canadian dollars: 2,226.31 to
4,626.20)

Budapest/Sydney USD 2180.00 to 5817.00 (in forints: 611,216.70 to
1,630,875.69)

Taipei/Sydney USD 1134.00 to 1474.00 (in Taiwan New Dollars: 39,137.73
to 50,871.86)

No through fares quoted from Costa Rica -- so sorry, Laura...and I don't
yet know what they are for Cape Town, Germany, Haiti, or Israel,
either.  But you get the idea, and you can see where we all come from
(more places than that, you can be sure!)

- - - - -

Wow: this all looks like a lot of money, no matter how you count it!

And for those of you who feel you either aren't experienced enough in
Open Space to come to the global meeting

(you are and if you don't come we won't be able to learn from you and
share with you)

...or for those of you who feel you are blessed with living in a rich
country (and are therefore thinking of not asking for help -- but have
not the finances to get yourself there):

You are important.  We need to learn from each other, weave the world
together, understand the world through your eyes, and see you in
person.  Please take a deep breath and ask for help from your
colleagues.

This Spring we will have more information on the costs for registration
and other items.

Next Access Queen message: I'll tell you how some of us raised money for
our trip to Vancouver this year...

Let's make a pact to get more of us to the next OS and all future ones.
We all have ways to help each other.

A royal buh-bye to all,

Lisa

--