Soft Skills and OS

Mick Walsh southbank_mgt at bigpond.com
Wed May 23 05:03:29 PDT 2001

Hi Rob,

I have not used open space as you intend to, but I did use OS with Masters
students last year.  Our course co-ordinator asked me to hold space for my
fellow students at the end of first semester in the final year of the
program.

The theme was the question " What do I need to do to successfully complete
my thesis by the end of semester"? The givens were of an academic nature,
such as submission dates etc.

I was concerned about the time available - a three-hour session.  Being
somewhat obsessive / compulsive I was concerned that we would not cover the
issues in detail.  As it turns out, the three hours allotted became one and
a half hours due to other academic commitments.

My concerns were not realised and the outcomes reinforced the tenet that we
should "trust the process".

Of the twenty five students, eleven attended.  Twenty one issues were posted
in the marketplace and twelve were resolved to the satisfaction of students
and co-ordinator.  The only principles I compromised were 'when it
starts.... when it's over...'  Because of the short timeframe available I
decided to become the time keeper - something which caused me some angst at
the time but in retrospect it actually worked.  I am something of  a purist
when it comes to OS (if there is such a thing) but I realised that sometimes
things can be changed - whatever happens?

Ideally I would not hold space as I have described, which reflects my
personal preference and agenda for holding space.  However, I cannot argue
with the results.  The most pleasing comment expressed on closing the space
was " I thought this would be far more complex".

I am not sure if this helps.  If you would like more in-depth information
then you may contact me at southbank_mgt at bigpond.com.

Best of luck

Mick Walsh